Proposed Urban Framework Plan for the Abbey Creative Quarter (St. Francis Abbey Brewery/Smithwick's / Diageo lands, Kilkenny City)
Download Kilkenny Masterplan Draft.pdf (Single 72.6 MB File)
The acquisition of the Smithwick's Brewery site from Diageo by Kilkenny Borough and County Councils is a significant event for Kilkenny which presents the city with a unique opportunity in the early years of the twenty first century.
The proposed Urban Framework Plan sets out guidelines for the design and delivery of: -
- A new linear park on the banks of the Nore.
- A new landscaped walk along the City Walls and Breagagh River.
- Conservation of historic buildings on the site.
- New public, landscaped spaces including a public square at St. Francis Abbey.
- Sustainable and energy efficient strategies for individual buildings and the overall site.
- A university quarter centred on the regenerated industrial buildings to be retained on site.
- A new residential / student residential district.
- Indigenous and international knowledge economy uses on key sites.
- Cultural, retail and tourist related uses on defined sites.
The proposed plan also identifies a phasing mechanism to ensure the delivery of the development by the public and private sectors, over the next 10 to 15 years, subject to the vitality of the local and national economy.
Written submissions or observations regarding the overall strategy for the proper planning and sustainable development of the area may be made in writing to the planning authority on or before 13th December 2013.
Submissions or observations in electronic format can be e-mailed to: email@example.com
Kilkenny Borough Council